Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Kiva: Loans that Change Lives

Kiva is a really interesting site and if you are looking for something different to do in your classroom this Holiday season, you might want to check it out. Kiva puts you in touch with small businesses and entrepreneurs in developing countries. It explains their business and the amount of money required for their loan.

Individuals then put up 25, 50, 100 or more dollars towards the cost of the project. Loan payments are then payed back over a particular schedule.

I won't say this very often on this blog - but I heard about Kiva from Oprah so it's received a certain amount of press recently. But spread the word and take a look through some of the projects. Also if you are not convinced about the power of Microcredit, read Banker to the Poor by Muhammad Yunis.

So before you hold a secret Santa in your classroom this year, think about how that $10 gift could go a lot further for someone in a developing country.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good

Sudipta Das said...

Hey, I would like to become a radiologist technician, so I am going to a community college. I finished all my requirement class I need for the program, now I just have to apply in June and see if I am accepted into the program. So basically I can take this next semester off. However, I would like to take a computer graphics course. Does taking a class that is not involved with my program mean that I will get less financial aid money next year when I’m actually in the program?
__________________
Free money

Loans for People on Benefits said...

The financial crisis situation may impel you to apply for a loan, but you have nothing to place as collateral? Do not worry! Unsecured loans for people on benefit is there to get you out from such financial crisis situation. for more information about Loans for People on Benefits

visit http://www.samedayloansforpeopleonbenefits.co.uk